New Feature: Grades and Comments for Students

Questions/Comments about the NY Class Program

New Feature: Grades and Comments for Students

Postby kevhines » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:15 am

Hello UCB Students,

Starting January 2, 2017, you will be able to view your grades and comments from your teachers at UCB. When you are signed in to your UCB Dashboard (https://dashboard.ucbcomedy.com/), you will see an option to view grades/comments. This information will only be viewable by you and pertinent UCB Training Center staff. The ability to read notes from your teacher will only be available to classes that are completed in 2017 and only going forward. Any class that ended in 2016 or earlier will not have teacher comments available to you.

We believe that this new feature will be a great benefit for student growth. Your teacher will be able to identify a key concept or concepts that you need to be working on as you develop as a performer or writer. These notes will put in writing the most important feedback that you received in class. As with notes of any kind, try not to view them as a full assessment of your talent but rather just what this particular teacher observed in their short time with you.

Similarly, do not put too much into the letter grade you receive. The majority of our students receive a B which means that a student understands the concepts and is able to demonstrate that understanding in scene work. The grade is also not a comment on your overall talent or ability as a performer or writer.

If you have questions about your comments, they should be addressed to the Academic Director and they will follow up with the teacher for clarification if it is needed.

-Johnny Meeks and Kevin Hines
Academic Supervisor and Associate Academic Supervisor
kevhines

Users Information

Re: New Feature: Grades and Comments for Students

Postby benzado » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi! I learned about the transcript via Facebook post reactions to the other students' reactions... then, this morning I remembered that this forum exists and discovered this post, and so rather than continuing to complain that Facebook is a bad forum for discussion, I'm trying to put my money where my mouth is make use of this forum.

Based on your post here, I'd like to offer some suggestions to make the transcript easier to understand and hopefully reduce the volume of the questions the teachers are getting.

Notes

On Facebook I read that "notes were coming later" which I misunderstood to mean they would be published after being reviewed, or something like that. I now see that I was wrong:

The ability to read notes from your teacher will only be available to classes that are completed in 2017 and only going forward. Any class that ended in 2016 or earlier will not have teacher comments available to you.

Currently, the transcript page contains a disabled "Notes" button next to each course taken. Usually, a disabled control indicates temporary unavailability, implying that the button may become enabled in the future. In other words, these buttons imply that the old notes may become available at a later date.

I believe it would be clearer if the button was replaced with a label reading "Not Available". Additionally, it would be helpful to include an explanation ("Notes are not available for classes ending before...") somewhere on the page.

Grades

Similarly, do not put too much into the letter grade you receive. The majority of our students receive a B which means that a student understands the concepts and is able to demonstrate that understanding in scene work. The grade is also not a comment on your overall talent or ability as a performer or writer.

This aspect of this transcript has created a lot of drama. Letter grades carry a lot of baggage with them, and what they mean to people varies wildly depending on their parents and where they went to school. Simply telling people what a "B" is supposed to mean is not enough to overcome this baggage.

Since the transcript already includes a descriptive label for each letter grade (Pass, Fail, Superior, Repeat Level), I believe it would be less confusing to simply omit the letter entirely and only display the label.

Contact Information

If you have questions about your comments, they should be addressed to the Academic Director and they will follow up with the teacher for clarification if it is needed.

Currently, there is no information on the transcript page regarding where to direct questions, and so the natural thing to do is to contact the teachers who are named on the transcript. It would be useful to include this note, along with the Academic Director's email address, directly on the transcript page.

Thank You

Thank you for making this information available, and for taking the time to consider my feedback.
benzado

Users Information

Postby kevhines » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Ben,

thanks for all the comments. I just emailed you!

-Kevin
kevhines

Users Information

Postby ogreoverlord » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:58 am

Hi.
How does it take for grades/notes to go up after a class ends?
I was in a class that ended in the beginning of January and there's still nothing new on my dashboard.
Thanks!
ogreoverlord

Users Information

Postby kevhines » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 am

ogreoverlord wrote:Hi.
How does it take for grades/notes to go up after a class ends?
I was in a class that ended in the beginning of January and there's still nothing new on my dashboard.
Thanks!

it should be up within 10 days of the last class or class show.
Email me so I can look up the specific class.
kevhines@ucbcomedy.com
kevhines

Users Information

Return to New York Training Center