[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - ASH registration questions/issues | UCB Comedy • Improv and Sketch Comedy Resource Forum

ASH registration questions/issues

Questions/Comments about the NY Class Program

Re: ASH registration questions/issues

Postby SloppyJoe » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 pm

I agree - it hurts when I hear friends who applied late Friday morning and got accepted, when I know that I was one of the first to apply. That's not a bad suggestion
SloppyJoe

Users Information

Postby tanouye » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Erik Tanouye
School Manager
(also Improv/Sketch teacher and performer)
UCB Training Center
520 Eighth Ave, 9th Floor
New York, New York 10018
tanouye

Users Information

Postby tanouye » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Also, there was a ton of interest in the Kevin Hines class. I guess 127 people don't know how bad at teaching improv he is.

Here are how many people applied for recent classes.

Kevin Hines Tues 7-10 127
Gavin Speiller Mon 3:30 41
Doug Moe Tues 3:30 31
Lydia Hensler Mon 7-10 67
Abra Tabak Thurs 7-10 62

The numbers are goosed by the fact that we haven't had many Advanced classes recently due to the holidays and we're putting them up one at a time. With our policy about concurrent classes, those numbers should generally be going down with each class we put online. And for those of you with day jobs, we haven't put online any of the Advanced Study weekend classes yet as I'm still building out the 2014 schedule.
Erik Tanouye
School Manager
UCB Training Center
New York, New York 10018
tanouye

Users Information

Postby anthonynohtna » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:58 am

anthonynohtna

Users Information

Postby Hal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Would it help if the lottery window was much shorter? Maybe five minutes (and first-come first-serve for any leftover slots)? That way, the devoted get first dibs and you lose the perception that half-interested stragglers who apply the following day are getting in. Best of both worlds?

Is there any reason NOT to give priority to people who haven't taken a class in a long time (or ever)? That seems like the fairest solution I can think of.

The thing that seems really crazy to me about a lottery-based system is that someone could end up taking one class after another after another through sheer luck, while another person could be excluded for years. Someone could be the most devoted, talented, skilled student in the entire class system, but could be effectively shut out of Advanced Study. That sucks not only for them, but for the school, which loses its ability to train and promote promising students.
Hal

Users Information

Postby tanouye » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Erik Tanouye
School Manager
UCB Training Center
New York, New York 10018
tanouye

Users Information

Postby leeapoth » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Can you post the stats on the ASH classes that were filled today?
leeapoth

Users Information

Postby anthonynohtna » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm

I agree with what Tanouye and Hal are both saying. Obviously if there was an easy answer we wouldn't be discussing this. One of the things that has been made clear from the introduction of the lottery system is that it potentially stunts the growth of the students that are obsessed. I know many people in Advanced Study who have no goals to be on a house team and many who do. For the ones that do, the Advanced Study classes are crucial to the learning process and only add to the madness of wanting some sort of "first come first served" satisfaction.

I'll throw it into the pot again a solution I think would be fair: The first 8 slots being first come first served and the latter 8 being lottery. This could really satisfy the needs for both types of improvisor as you don't want to shun either from their learning process'

As far as people working jobs, I understand that, but no matter where I am, if a class goes up at 1pm, I make the time to step out and get online somehow. I was on a trip overseas, stepped out from my dinner & signed up for every DCM workshop I wanted (including neil casey's) on an iPhone 3gS with terrible reception, so it's not impossible to make it happen if you work.
anthonynohtna

Users Information

Postby joeyprice » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Stats for the classes from yesterday:

Tabak 9363: 67 applicants
Hensler 9379: 11 applicants as of the time the application was scheduled to close closed. We have kept applications open for this class (as we always do if we have less than 20-25 applicants) and since then 6 additional people have applied.

I want to echo Erik's sentiment about forming a practice group. You will get SO MUCH out of practicing on your own with people you want to be practicing/performing with. I know scheduling and reliability can be issues, but having a weekly 2-3 hour practice with 8 people will be fun and may benefit you more than one of our advanced classes. And it'll be cheaper. UCB classes cost $50/session. If you had 8 people pay $20 each that's $160. You'd need about $40-$50 for a room, leaving you with $100-$120 to pay for a coach. You could get a lot of great teachers and coaches to coach you for 2-3 hours for that amount.

I personally became a much better improviser after I finished 401 and started working with a 6-person group. I made the conscious decision to not take an advanced class right away and start working with people I wanted to work with. Take that step! Email people from classes past with whom you'd like to keep improvising. You'll have a blast and become great!
joeyprice

Users Information

Postby leeapoth » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 pm

It is clear from the stats that evening and weekend classes are in far higher demand than weekday morning/afternoon classes. Obviously, certain teachers create a more variable situation, but I'm pretty sure that a Kevin Hines weekend/evening class would get more applicants than a Kevin Hines Tuesday morning class even if the Tuesday morning class might get more applicants than another teacher's Saturday class.

Erik and Joey have stated several times on this board that the weekday classes take students out of the pool for evening and weekend classes and I think that is true to a point. One of the problems that I see is that students with more flexible schedules might apply for a weekend class that is posted before a weekday class. For instance, the Lydia Hensler - Mondays 7-10pm starting Jan 6 (9316) was posted on Thursday, November 21. Then the Doug Moe - Tues 3:30-6:30pm starting Jan 7 (9332) was posted on Tuesday November 26. My hypothesis is that had Doug's class posted before Lydia's class, Doug's class would have had more applicants with more flexible schedules thus increasing the odds for those of us with less flexible schedules because 16 people who potentially would be available for both classes would have gotten into Doug's class first.

Does that make any sense (outside of my mind)? If so, is it even possible to time the class postings so that weekday classes go up before weekend/evening classes?
leeapoth

Users Information

PreviousNext

Return to New York Training Center