Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST


Questions/Comments about the NY Class Program

Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby Alex » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Dear students and faculty of UCB Training Center,

The Upright Citizens Brigade Improv and Sketch Comedy Training Center is proud to announce we've gained accreditation through the National Association of Schools of Theatre. As a nationally accredited institution, the Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center joins the ranks of over 160 theatrical institutions of higher learning.

The National Association of Schools of Theatre was established in 1965 to improve educational practices and maintain high professional standards in theatre education. NAST accreditation means that the UCB Training Center meets national standards in terms of educational quality and institutional probity.

This recognition is a historic moment for comedy as a whole. Our current status as an associate member of this association is a major victory for the widespread, national recognition of Long Form improvisation, as developed by Del Close and Charna Halpern, as a performance art form. As the first fully accredited comedy training center, the UCB Training Center hopes to further the national dialog about the importance of sketch comedy and Long Form improvisation in educational, performance, and cultural contexts.

Accreditation assures our students that the methodology, policies and the administration of the Training Center meet stringent national standards. Upon successful completion of the program our students will receive a Certificate of Completion. This certification means every student of the Training Center will be exposed to the same Game-based curricula.

Accreditation also assures our faculty that the methodology and curriculum they have helped to craft, adapt, and continually support is sound and meets national standards. Their role as educators is validated beyond the work carried on by their students but also in the academic field.

Looking Forward,

Alex Sidtis, Managing Director
Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center
create, destroy, enjoy
Alex

Posts: 57
Users Information
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby Grevalt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Does this mean that Class Performances could be considered Final Exams, and all New York work laws regarding time off and scheduled shifts would apply to UCB "Final Exams"?

For example, could I not work a certain day if I have a Class Performance that day, as NY work laws say "an employee is not required to work if enrolled in an accredited school and his/her final exam is that day"? (i'm paraphrasing)
Grevalt

Posts: 32
Users Information
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 am

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby chuckaduck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Holy Smack! Congrats. This is monumental.
chuckaduck

Posts: 2
Users Information
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby Alex » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 am

Grevalt wrote:For example, could I not work a certain day if I have a Class Performance that day, as NY work laws say "an employee is not required to work if enrolled in an accredited school and his/her final exam is that day"? (i'm paraphrasing)


I have no knowledge of this statute. If you could point me in the right direction I could find and answer.

Generally speaking the class performance is not an actual final exam for the Improvisation Program.

Teacher determinations are dependent on the progress of a student throughout the entirety of the course. Students can advance if they miss the final performance, they just can't miss more than 2 classes in any given course. Students must also demonstrate understanding of the material presented in each course and see 2 shows.
create, destroy, enjoy
Alex

Posts: 57
Users Information
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby teeguy33 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Maybe UCB training classes could constitute as professional development hours under No Child Left Behind for any teachers out there....?
teeguy33

Posts: 2
Users Information
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 am

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby saintlennybruce » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 pm

Does this mean that federal student aid will be offered in the future?
saintlennybruce

Posts: 2
Users Information
Location: Brooklyn
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby Alex » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:15 pm

saintlennybruce wrote:Does this mean that federal student aid will be offered in the future?


There are currently no plans to offer federal student aid for the existing programs. Compliance and accounting of federal student financial aid can be complex and expensive.

Given our low price point, at this time, we don't feel like it would ultimately benefit our students.

While we are now legally able to acquire federal student financial aid we are not rushing in that direction.
create, destroy, enjoy
Alex

Posts: 57
Users Information
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby bgs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 am

Hi,

Does this mean foreign students might be able to apply for an american student visa?
bgs

Posts: 25
Users Information
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:30 pm

bgs wrote:Hi,

Does this mean foreign students might be able to apply for an american student visa?


Short answer: Someday.

Long answer:
We would like to offer this in the future because we believe reaching potential students from diverse backgrounds makes for better art. That being said we have been discussing the benefits and pitfalls with other member institutions of NAST.

There are primarily two different student visas which are commonly granted for institutions M-1 and F-1. Compliance is different for each and falls under the purviews of several agencies including INS, ICE, Department of State and Department of Homeland Security. Acceptance of each student is also dependent on a number of factors.

Now that this route is available we will start the journey but I can't give a timeline or time frame for this to happen. We are constantly figuring out where we fit in. When we can figure out our place in relation to immigration compliance we'll make an announcement.
create, destroy, enjoy
Alex

Posts: 57
Users Information
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Upright Citizens Brigade Training Center -Accredited by NAST

Postby bgs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 am

Alex wrote:
bgs wrote:Hi,

Does this mean foreign students might be able to apply for an american student visa?


Short answer: Someday.

Long answer:
We would like to offer this in the future because we believe reaching potential students from diverse backgrounds makes for better art. That being said we have been discussing the benefits and pitfalls with other member institutions of NAST.

There are primarily two different student visas which are commonly granted for institutions M-1 and F-1. Compliance is different for each and falls under the purviews of several agencies including INS, ICE, Department of State and Department of Homeland Security. Acceptance of each student is also dependent on a number of factors.

Now that this route is available we will start the journey but I can't give a timeline or time frame for this to happen. We are constantly figuring out where we fit in. When we can figure out our place in relation to immigration compliance we'll make an announcement.



That's incredible! I was actually not completely serious asking that. Thank you so much for the elaborate response.
bgs

Posts: 25
Users Information
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Next

Return to New York Training Center

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron