March 15 - NEW ASH/ASI Policy - 3 Classes in 12 months

Questions/Comments about the NY Class Program

Re: March 15 - NEW ASH/ASI Policy - 3 Classes in 12 months

Postby kevhines » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Hal - We considered that, but our thinking was ASP's are an extra thing. They don't really work the important improv muscles that we focus on. Specifically Harolds. ASPs can be monoscenes or Christmas Shows or really anything. If those students also want to take ASHs thats great, and they are held to the same restrictions as anyone else.

I don't want a good student not taking ASHs so they could take ASPs and I don't want them not taking ASPs so they could take ASHs.

Doesn't mean I won't change my mind later!
kevhines

Users Information

Postby kevhines » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Glad everyone likes this policy!

Erik Tanouye suggested the idea and we (The entire Training Center staff) all worked on the specifics.

After March 15th, when we apply for an Adv Study class it will tell you how many ASH/ASI classes you've taken in the last 12 months and if you have taken 3 or more, when you can next apply for a class.

Hope that helps too!

-Kevin
kevhines

Users Information

Postby anthonynohtna » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Electives don't apply under this new rule correct? For instance the Kevin Mullaney and Sean Conroy classes I took in the past year wouldn't count against me right?
anthonynohtna

Users Information

Postby kevhines » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:39 pm

anthonynohtna - that's right, they will not count. Workshops and electives are separate.
kevhines

Users Information

Postby EamonnGiblin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:46 pm

So, a class is still open for anyone as long as it is application-based. So, if the rule had been in effect when the Shannon O'Neill ASH went up last week, for people who already had three courses in the previous twelve months, would that class then count as effectively being over-the-cap? So if you took classes in say, August/September 13, November/December 13, January/February 14 and then were accepted to the Shannon class for March/April 14, would you be able to take it and then you would be locked out until January 15 (unless you get into another application-based class)?
EamonnGiblin

Users Information

Postby nickrami » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 am

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I just reread through this whole thread, and I don't think it has. When figuring out whether we're eligible to take another class, do we go by the start date of the first of our last three classes? Or the date of the last class session? Or the date of the last show?

For example, say I was in a class that started January 1, 2014. The last class was March 1, 2014. The last show was March 2, 2014. I then took two more ASH classes before the end of the year. Am I eligible to take a class that starts on January 1, 2015? March 1, 2015? March 2, 2015?

Thanks!
nickrami

Users Information

Postby anthonynohtna » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Since the Shannon class is application based and doesn't affect your ASH/I count, if you were accepted into that class and also wanted to apply to a concurrent ASH, is that possible? I know you can take concurrent ASPs and ASH/I's and it's really just the ASH tag that has me asking this question.
anthonynohtna

Users Information

Postby anthonynohtna » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:19 pm

EamonnGiblin wrote:So, a class is still open for anyone as long as it is application-based. So, if the rule had been in effect when the Shannon O'Neill ASH went up last week, for people who already had three courses in the previous twelve months, would that class then count as effectively being over-the-cap?

If you recheck what Kevin wrote, it says even though the Shannon class is tagged ASH it doesn't count against you since it was application based and she chose the people. It's basically treated the same as an ASP.
anthonynohtna

Users Information

Postby EamonnGiblin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:48 am

anthonynohtna wrote:
EamonnGiblin wrote:So, a class is still open for anyone as long as it is application-based. So, if the rule had been in effect when the Shannon O'Neill ASH went up last week, for people who already had three courses in the previous twelve months, would that class then count as effectively being over-the-cap?

If you recheck what Kevin wrote, it says even though the Shannon class is tagged ASH it doesn't count against you since it was application based and she chose the people. It's basically treated the same as an ASP.

Sure, I get that for the actual enrollment into an application-based class it is totally separate. What I'm asking is when someone applies to a lottery-selected ASH, are prior application-selected ASH courses taken considered part of your limit of 3?

kevhines wrote:This does not restrict applying or enrolling in Adv Study Performance Classes (Like the Movie class or the recent Real Door Monoscene and Gator classes) and it doesn't restrict enrolling in most other application based classes (like the recent 4 week Nate Dern class or the upcoming Shannon O'Neil Class) - those classes are open to all students the teachers wish to consider, and they generally want to consider all the best students regardless of how many ASH/ASI classes you are in.

We only count ASH and ASI (4,6, or 8 week classes) when calculating how many classes you've taken in the last 12 months.

So like I said, it clearly states that enrollment in application-based ASH courses is not restricted, but when someone applies to a lottery-based ASH AFTER that application-based ASH, does the application-based ASH count against their "cap" of 3?

Obviously this is purely hypothetical as this is months from applying to anyone but I'm curious.
EamonnGiblin

Users Information

Postby tanouye » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:55 pm

I would say, for now, if you get into an application-based ASH, it counts as one of your ASH for the 12-month period. So the difference would be that if you already had three that year, you could still enroll if you were selected. But then you couldn't apply for standard ASH courses until your 12-months/3 class period had elapsed. Although, again you would still be able to apply for any special (application based) ASP/ASH courses offered in the meantime.
Erik Tanouye
School Manager
(also Improv/Sketch teacher and performer)
UCB Training Center
520 Eighth Ave, 9th Floor
New York, New York 10018
tanouye

Users Information

PreviousNext

Return to New York Training Center