[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
View topic - Classes Going Online in April - New Procedure | UCB Comedy • Improv and Sketch Comedy Resource Forum

Classes Going Online in April - New Procedure

Questions/Comments about the NY Class Program

Re: Classes Going Online in April - New Procedure

Postby AlexAlex » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 pm

how quickly did that Karels Sketch 301 sell out on Wednesday?
AlexAlex

Users Information

Postby tanouye » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Erik Tanouye
School Manager
(also Improv/Sketch teacher and performer)
UCB Training Center
520 Eighth Ave, 9th Floor
New York, New York 10018
tanouye

Users Information

Postby Ashrene » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Would it be possible to implement the posting of new class announcements on the site and via twitter more gradually and slowly reduce the announcements on this thread? It has been rather difficult to sign up for classes (I can't sit on the site and wait for new classes to post) and I've talked to other students who feel the same. I understand the need for change, but again think it's important to import it gradually than suddenly. Obviously, what works is the most important (right?).

Ashley Rene
Ashrene

Users Information

Postby BrettEidman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 am

I don't like the new system. For anybody that actually works alot, like me, checking back like crazy is a major pain and I don't think it's considerate of peoples time. It's much easier when people know the days and times things are happening so they can set this time aside to try to get into a class. Just my opinion.
BrettEidman

Users Information

Postby SloppyJoe » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 am

Just to give an alternative opinion - I love the new system. Sign up for text notifications from Twitter! You literally get an alert with the link to sign up for class the second it gets posted. It makes it so easy and much more convenient than the old system.
SloppyJoe

Users Information

Postby JoeyP » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:08 am

I've found this incredibly frustrating. I check the site every day, multiple times a day and have missed 5 straight classes before I knew they were being posted. It seems like this system penalizes anyone who doesn't have twitter and can't get to-the-minute alerts.
JoeyP

Users Information

Postby AlexAlex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 am

JoeyP, you need to do that thing where you get a text every time a class is announced on twitter. it's the only way you have a chance under this system. i don't like it either, but you'll just continue to be frustrated if you don't set this up.
AlexAlex

Users Information

Postby Chris Griswold » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:31 pm

The email alerts I created are more useful now than before:

When a class you want opens for registration, or if a seat opens in a sold-out class, IFTTT.com will send you an email alert within 15 minutes.

http://ucblove.tumblr.com/ucbclassemailalerts

[Pardon the current, difficult-to-read Tumblr theme.]
Chris Griswold
Chris Griswold

Users Information

Postby renalea » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:33 am

This new system is absolutely horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible. I am waiting for a 401 to open. Bear in mind, I have set up my phone to receive Chris Griswold's alerts as well as the Twitter updates. I basically have to be like a med student on alert.

My working schedule is 7am-4pm Wednesday through Sunday and I have a commitment that takes me out of town on Tuesdays. So the only class times that I can make work are Sunday night, or any time on Monday, or maybe a 6:15 pm. If I knew in advance that a 3:30 pm was going on sale I could check with my boss and ask if I could work through my lunch and leave at 3 one day a week. But of course, there's no way of knowing in advance.

When I knew in advance when classes were going on sale, I would arrange things so that I was on the site the minute the sale started, and not let anything get in the way of me being able to register. I didn't mean to let nine months (so far) slip by between 401s. I was unemployed when my first 401 (with John Murray) ended, and started the crazy new schedule last November. Since then, the only 401s that didn't conflict with work have been Ryan Karel's at 7 pm on Mondays, and John Frusciante's at 3:30 on Mondays.

Ryan Karel's class went on sale before I was acquainted with the tyranny of the new system. I almost cried when I turned my phone on after having it off for 45 minutes at the gym and saw that the class had appeared and sold out, because the schedule would have been perfect for me. I set up a double alert system on my phone, started carrying a charger at all times, and stopped turning my phone off. John Frusciante's class went on sale last night, at midnight, while I was...asleep. What am I supposed to do, not sleep? Smoke crystal meth until a 401 opens that I can make work with my working hours? Because if I became a crystl meth addict, I would most likely lose my job, and have no means of paying UCB the $400 required to take the class. And even if I had enough credit to charge the class while unemployed (I did that once before), I would be pretty much useless in it, because crystal meth addicts are not present.

The new system punishes students for having a job or a life. I have no objection to taking 401 two or three more times if necessary. I have a practice group, but I would really like to retake 401, and I'm worried I'll never get to. All I want is to pay you guys $400 to retake 401. You make it so hard to love you!
renalea

Users Information

Postby Mollusk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 am

I love the new system, but that's because improv and sketch are a priority for me. I have been watching classes, and it's obvious that many are opening new seats throughout the week after they have sold out already.

I think everyone should consider what their priorities are, because maybe this just isn't one of them. Also, if UCB is too in demand, remember there are three other decent theaters to study improv in the city, and there are lots of improv teachers and coaches to learn from. But some of the people complaining about the new system are actually just complaining about the old system or just complaining, and that means maybe your life isn't conducive to putting yourself through a popular improv school, or your heart just isn't into it.

If you have a crazy hectic schedule, that's not UCB's fault, that's just how you're choosing to live your life.
Mollusk

Users Information

PreviousNext

Return to New York Training Center