Sketch 301 Summer Nights

Questions/Comments about the NY Class Program

Sketch 301 Summer Nights

Postby Monologued » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I was wondering if there were any Sketch 301 classes planned for this summer anytime after 5PM. I'd really like to take a class, but I have work during the day and had a prior obligation preventing me from being at the Tech rehearsal for Geoff Garlock's 7/23/15's class.

I know there is a TON of interest in a night-time 301 class.

Thank you!
Bryan
Monologued

Users Information

Re: Sketch 301 Summer Nights

Postby kevhines » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:08 pm

We are 100% aware of the interest for weeknight and weekend 301s.

There are a lot of behind the scene reasons that make it hard to schedule 301s. We've lost veteran teachers lately (who used to teach some of those 301s) and although we have added to our sketch faculty, that has slowed our addition of sketch 301 classes. Teacher's schedules. Some of our sketch teachers are not available in the evenings or weekends. Rooms and Theater times. Sketch 301 needs a non-writer's room, and sketch 301 needs a tech time AND a show time.
None of these are insrumountable - but it's why it's not as easy as "let's add some 301s on these days right now"

We are working on it, but as soon as we have one we can put in those time slots we will put it up. I doubt we will ever announce on here that we plan on having one by a certain date - because if we knew that we'd just put it up for sale.

Hope that answers you question
kevhines

Users Information

Postby beakerb82 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:38 am

hi, kevin! while i have seen a few night/weekend sketch 301s go up in the past couple months, they are, as you can imagine, immediately sold out. given that the supply doesn't meet the demand and that students are repeatedly missing out on opportunities to get Advanced Study training and to submit for Maude, is there any chance for an alternate path for Advanced Study approval? there a few indie sketch teams, working under the direction of Maude writers/performers (and following that model), that have formed in order to fill the gap and create ongoing opportunities for sketch instruction, writing, and performance experience. for those who have completed 101 and 201 and can demonstrate ongoing, active participation as writers in independent UCB-based sketch teams (with a writers' room led by a director/instructor as we would have in a 301), could there be an application process that involves submitting a packet along with a recommendation from a UCB-trained sketch director, or something of this nature?

i realize this isn't the ideal scenario. But I'm hoping for any option for those of us who have been working hard but still can't get past this roadblock.
beakerb82

Users Information

Postby kevhines » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:56 pm

beakerb82 - hey I know it's frustrating but we have increased the numbers of 301s in the latter half of this year, with plans to increase more as fast as we can. (it's not easy for a variety of reasons).

Unfortunately we don't have the time or resources to set up another method to approve people for advanced study - and I'd be nervous about allowing people to skip any level for any reason. I think our 301 classes are one of our best classes to take.

I know you need Adv Study approval to apply for Maude Night - but I can't worry about the theater side of things, and instead I want to focus on making the Training Center as strong as possible.

I am not saying we will never change how this works, but it certainly isn't something that is in the works for sketch right now.
kevhines

Users Information

Return to New York Training Center