How do we feel about Jams?

Questions/Comments about the LA Class Program

How do we feel about Jams?

Postby perlstein » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 pm

I've just started improving, love it, wanna learn as much as possible and practice all the time. So naturally I've been jamming a lot, I'm starting to feel like I maybe hurting myself by doing this since it's not so Haroldy and a lot of times it's absolutely crazy.

So thoughts, does participating in jams help an improvisor develop skills, or is it just a way to fuck around?
I host the Improv Obsession Podcast. You can hear it Online or in iTunes. I'm on UCBLA Beta Team Muddleberry

Happy improvising.
perlstein

Users Information

Re: How do we feel about Jams?

Postby Drew DiFonzo Marks » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 pm

I have hosted the Long Hard Improv Jam at UCB for the past few years and I can tell you this; every jam is different.

I believe the Jam is like the gym for improv. The more you do it, the better you will become.

Now - that depends on HOW you jam. If you go to dick around, you wont walk away better. Practice doesn't make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect.

Yes, you will see crazy scenes, crazy people, and crazy moves happen all the time at any jam. It comes with the territory. But if you can do a scene with a somebody who's not trying, and you are, and you still make them look good and find a game, you are doing twice the work and are becoming a better improviser.

I encourage people to try to do good work at jams. I've been in jams that were better than any show I've done in months. And I've been in jams I still have nightmares about. Jams are what the people bring to them, so be cool and challenge yourself to do work you're proud of. Be one of those people. At any jam.
Last Day of School - 'Txt Msg Show'
Thursdays @ 11pm
Drew DiFonzo Marks

Users Information

Postby Drew DiFonzo Marks » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:28 pm

Of course, I have a biased point of view. Feel free to disagree with me Internet....
Thursdays @ 11pm
Drew DiFonzo Marks

Users Information

Postby perlstein » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Good point. I play hard when I jam, but, I forgot an important part of improv is making your partners look good, justify the crazy moves, crazy scenes, crazy people, make a game and make it work. I guess there aren't a lot of valid excuses for not doing scenes well.

I'll keep jamming for now. Sunday, CrashBar. Tuesday, TNT. Wednesday, Room 101. Thursday, Westside Comedy Theater. And one Monday a month at the Long Hard Improv Jam.

See you on the 27th Drew.
I host the Improv Obsession Podcast. You can hear it Online or in iTunes. I'm on UCBLA Beta Team Muddleberry

Happy improvising.
perlstein

Users Information

Postby jjscomedy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

I agree with Drew. I know I have become a much better improviser just by doing the UCB jam. Thats where the best crazies are. But you also get a sense of playing with people that have different styles. A lot of times people just play with the same 5-8 people in their practice groups and find it frustrating when someone new doesn't get a move they do because they haven't played together before. Jams have made me a more adaptable and more rounded improviser.

Of course, thats just me...
jjscomedy

Users Information

Postby Drew DiFonzo Marks » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:32 pm

ATTENTION everybody - we are going to start running the UCB jam in a new way. info below. please shoot me any questions.

The Long Hard Improv Jam is the show where YOU get to perform.

Here's how it works:
At 7pm on the day of the show a sign up sheet will be posted in the lobby. This list is for UCB Students Only (past or present).
The list will go down 10 minutes before showtime. At the show names will be called out randomly from the list to get on stage and perform!
It is lottery style, so signing up does not guarantee you will get on stage.

In addition, audience members will be randomly picked from the crowd, even if they are NOT students of the UCB Training Center, so everyone has a chance to perform.

Come do some long form improv on the UCB stage with students, teachers, veteran performers, newbies, crazies, and all walks of life.

One rule: No judgment.
Thursdays @ 11pm
Drew DiFonzo Marks

Users Information

Postby howieEkremer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:15 pm

this sounds great! Looking forward to the next JAM!
Howie E. Kremer

@howieekremer @sasquatchshorts

http://www.sasquatchshorts.com
http://www.lemonstheshow.com
howieEkremer

Users Information

Postby fontakis » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 pm

How have the jams been going since this new system was implimented? I just read three different threads on the jam and this sounds great.
fontakis

Users Information

Postby Joey_C » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:04 am

The new system is great. A lot less chaotic then the old system.
Joey_C

Users Information

Return to Los Angeles Training Center