New UCB LA Training Center?

Questions/Comments about the LA Class Program

New UCB LA Training Center?

Postby sfinneganh » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Hey gang!

I'm relocating from NYC to LA soon, and I heard there's eventually going to be a new UCB LA Training Center location opening up southeast of the theater on Franklin. Can anyone tell me the address of the new training center? During DCM, I believe the artistic director told me it will be between Fountain and Sunset, but I could be wrong. Also, if you happen to know if UCB will be holding their classes there under one roof, that would also be great to know. I want to be as close to the action as possible.

Thanks!
sfinneganh

Users Information

Re: New UCB LA Training Center?

Postby jakeregal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm not sure what's been officially announced and what is just hearsay, so take these answers with a grain of salt.

The training center is on Sunset just off the corner of Western. Look across Sunset from the McDonald's and you will see the building in all it's glory. There are roughly (and this is just an estimate) one million classrooms in the new training center, so it's a good bet that it will become the centralized home for training at UCB. Who knows, there could even be a new theatre or two in there.
jakeregal

Users Information

Postby scotty123 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:01 pm

The McDonald's is on the southeast corner so don't believe everything you read in that reply! And he didn't tell you WHICH direction to actually look to see the new UCBTLA Training Center once you're AT the McDonald's! Damn you, Mr. Regal!

There are three other directions you could look once you're there: North, towards the Starbucks; Northwest, towards where the OSH used to be ("For Lease" in the picture below) which is now under construction; or West, toward MORE massive construction where there used to be a weird grocery store or Food 4 Less.

I've driven by there a bunch of times, but I haven't stopped, so I don't know for SURE, but I was guessing it was the Northwest corner. But I think I'm wrong because I've never seen the UCB sign everyone says you're supposed to be able to see. But I almost NEVER drive near that intersection so don't take my word for it. I go around it, too busy.

I've heard ALL the classes will be in there, AND all the student shows will be in there, they're gonna call it UCB Sunset. The current theater will stay open and have all the usual shows and they're gonna call that UCB Franklin. If you moved in between those two spots you could easily walk to either one. Me, I live right behind UCB Franklin, so I could do the long walk, maybe a mile, not a big deal, and there's also a local 50 cent local neighborhood bus called the DASH that goes down Franklin and would take you within one New York Avenue type block from UCB Franklin. But that stops running after around 7 or 8. There's another bus that runs down Sunset that runs later. You could get the NextBus app on your phone and it tells you EXACTLY when the next bus will arrive because they all have GPS on them now. But the bus here is not really fun.

The new place is also RIGHT AT the Red Line metro train stop, so you'd have good access if you lived anywhere near a Red Line stop, even North Hollywood where it's way cheaper, but I wouldn't wanna live that far. But someone coming from North Hollywood on the train would probably beat me there if I walked and they took the train. Good luck! If you need neighborhood advice, post on here! I wish I was going to New York!!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0980931 ... e0!6m1!1e1
scotty123

Users Information

Postby scotty123 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:05 pm

The McDonald's is on the southeast corner so don't believe everything you read in that reply! And he didn't tell you WHICH direction to actually look to see the new UCBTLA Training Center once you're AT the McDonald's! Damn you, Mr. Regal!

There are three other directions you could look once you're there: North, towards the Starbucks; Northwest, towards where the OSH used to be ("For Lease" in the picture below) which is now under construction; or West, toward MORE massive construction where there used to be a weird grocery store or Food 4 Less.

I've driven by there a bunch of times, but I haven't stopped, so I don't know for SURE, but I was guessing it was the Northwest corner. But I think I'm wrong because I've never seen the UCB sign everyone says you're supposed to be able to see. But I almost NEVER drive near that intersection so don't take my word for it. I go around it, too busy.

I've heard ALL the classes will be in there, AND all the student shows will be in there, they're gonna call it UCB Sunset. The current theater will stay open and have all the usual shows and they're gonna call that UCB Franklin. If you moved in between those two spots you could easily walk to either one. Me, I live right behind UCB Franklin, so I could do the long walk, maybe a mile, not a big deal, and there's also a local 50 cent local neighborhood bus called the DASH that goes down Franklin and would take you within one New York Avenue type block from UCB Franklin. But that stops running after around 7 or 8. There's another bus that runs down Sunset that runs later. You could get the NextBus app on your phone and it tells you EXACTLY when the next bus will arrive because they all have GPS on them now. But the bus here is not really fun.

The new place is also RIGHT AT the Red Line metro train stop, so you'd have good access if you lived anywhere near a Red Line stop, even North Hollywood where it's way cheaper, but I wouldn't wanna live that far. But someone coming from North Hollywood on the train would probably beat me there if I walked and they took the train. Good luck! If you need neighborhood advice, post on here! I wish I was going to New York!!!

Also, I don't have time now to post more maps because my mom came to town for my show and I have to go meet her, but if you wanna research distances and compare, I routinely easily walk from UCB Franklin to iO West on Hollywood Blvd and it takes me 15 minutes, and I walk from UCB Franklin to Second City a little further down and it takes me 20 minutes...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0980931 ... e0!6m1!1e1
scotty123

Users Information

Postby jakeregal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Please don't attack my geographical expertise. The McDonalds is on the Southeast corner of the intersection, and the training center is on the Northeast. You would indeed be well served to gaze directly across Sunset from the McDonalds if you wished to view the new training center. If you find yourself staring at a Walgreen's, I would consider turning your head slightly to the right and attempting to identify the buildings immediately eastward.
jakeregal

Users Information

Return to Los Angeles Training Center