can u please add an audio compressor?

The UCB Theatre Podcast begs for discussion. So do it here!

can u please add an audio compressor?

Postby feelfree2 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:52 am

your show desperately needs an audio compressor. i can hardly hear the guest, dave hill, over the hosts voices. compressors range from cheap to expensive, but for a podcast, an inexpensive one would probably be fine. good luck with everything. love the show.
feelfree2

Users Information

Re: can u please add an audio compressor?

Postby flytalker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:30 pm

Hey guys, I just caught this post.

I could definitely come in and take a look at what you have and give you some advice on the best way to mic, compress and output the podcast based on the gear you already have, and possibly suggest an easy, inexpensive/free fix to any audio issues.

I'm at the training center, and theater all the time, and do stuff like this professionally. I'd obviously do it for free.

Big fan of the podcast.

Thanks,
Patrick Noth
flytaker@mac.com
flytalker

Users Information

Postby WillieBHines » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:15 pm

I'll take you up on that Patrick!

Yeah, Dave's audio was low. He's a quiet talker --- I don't think the other podcasts have had that problem.

We do have a mixer with three mikes -- but when I set the levels I'm guessing. Also once the podcast gets going all the guests assume a different space from their microphones than they use during the (very quick) sound check we do at the top. So for example Dave was not too quiet during sound check but then as the interview got going it's clear that he sounds quieter. Anyway, sound is hard. I don't know what a compressor is.
WillieBHines

Users Information

Postby mok » Mon May 10, 2010 1:30 am

New here, but I am an audio engineer by trade and just wanted to point out there's a free app that works some compressor magic without you having to know what it does or why. It's called the Levelator and it can sometimes work wonders. Enjoying the podcast nevertheless - thanks guys.
patron of funny
mok

Users Information

can u please add an audio compressor

Postby folfram » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:05 pm

I had this problem, too. Only some of my contents would show up.

I might try adding the Google search option again, and if/when I do, I will let you know how I did it and how I fare.
folfram

Users Information

Return to UCB Theatre Podcast