UCBTNY Announces Fall 2019 Maude Auditions

All information about UCB Hell's Kitchen and UCB East.
Any posts about NYC events/shows/casting NOT DIRECTLY INVOLVING the UCB Theatres should be posted in the OFF TOPIC.

UCBTNY Announces Fall 2019 Maude Auditions

Postby MichaelHartney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

***THIS POST WAS EDITED ON 9/24/19. DUE TO HOLIDAY CLOSURES AT THE TRAINING CENTER, MAUDE WRITER PACKETS WILL NOW BE DUE 10/3, NOT 10/1. EVERYTHING ELSE REMAINS THE SAME.***

UCBTNY Announces Fall 2019 Maude Team Auditions

Please read all information carefully. Procedures and Maude policies have changed from previous auditions.

WHAT ARE MAUDE TEAMS?

Maude Teams are UCBTNY’s house sketch teams. Maude Teams consist of 5-6 writers & 6 actors. Some teams may have a member that serves as both an actor and a writer. A director, hired by the team, oversees the writing and rehearsing of the team’s monthly show.

Each team will produce a professionally performed sketch revue every month (January-October and a best-of in November).

THE SHOW

Maude Night is on Monday nights at 7:30pm at UCBT Hell’s Kitchen.

Maude Night Shows are 25-30 minutes. Shows shouldn’t exceed 30 minutes.

Shows consist of new material written by the team specifically for Maude Night or rewritten material that previously made its debut on Maude Night but has been revised since its original performance.

Maude Night will consist of that month’s best material. Writers aren’t guaranteed to have a sketch in every show. These rules are in place to emulate the competitive and professional atmosphere of television shows, while still holding onto a supportive and team-based process.

Teams will hire a director (approved by the AD) to decide what material will be chosen. Directors, while hired by the team, function as the head writer and authority in rehearsals and should be treated as such. Directors are responsible for selecting which sketches go in the show, the running order, and have the final say on casting. Directors are paid by the Maude Teams (part of monthly dues).

SCHEDULE

Maude Teams meet approximately twice a week for writers meetings or actor rehearsals.

Maude Teams typically adhere to the following schedule every month:
Pitch Meeting, Writers Meetings (2 or 3), 1 Read Through/Actor Rehearsal, Actor Rehearsals (2 or 3), 1 Tech Rehearsal, The Show.

Additional time may be required, but this is up to the individual team. Teams may also opt to modify this schedule based on what works for them, but all teams are evaluated by the same standard.

Since Maude Teams have to be available Mondays for shows, it is highly encouraged that Maude Teams make Mondays one of their Writers Meetings/Actor Rehearsal days. Juggling 12-13 people’s schedules is tough, so make it easier for yourselves.

Maude tech rehearsals are generally scheduled Thursdays after Cage Match, and Sundays during the day (if available), or after ASSSSCAT. Teams are allotted 2 hours for techs.

Late night rehearsals (besides techs) are strongly discouraged. No one has energy and the rehearsal isn’t productive. I know this from years and years of insufferable late night Maude rehearsals. Avoid if at all possible!

WRITERS:

Writers must attend all Maude Team meetings and rehearsals.

Writers must produce 1 new sketch every writers meeting (in addition to assigned rewrites).

Writers must rewrite sketches based on feedback from writers meetings.

Writers must provide feedback on other teammates’ material and be an active participant in the writers' room.

The writer will work with the director to cast their sketch.

The writer is responsible for coordinating all necessary props, costumes and set pieces that their sketch requires. It is not mandatory to purchase props; there are Facebook groups for borrowing props and miming props is also allowed. We also have a large amount of community props available for use.

Material created by the writer belongs to them, even if they have accepted input from other writers, actors or the director.

Dual or multi authorship should be addressed when more than one person actively created the idea or wrote/re-wrote the sketch. (e.g. if an actor creates a character and a sketch is written around that character). I encourage this! In many sketch writing TV jobs, collaboration is a MUST and that goes beyond pitching alt lines in the writers room.

If you miss too many meetings/rehearsals, the Artistic Director reserves the right to bench you or remove you from the team. You will be performing at the best comedy theatre in the world and we expect hard work and dedication.

ACTORS:

The following rehearsals/meetings are mandatory for the Actor to attend: Pitch, Read Through/Actor Rehearsal, Actor Rehearsals & Tech Rehearsal.

It is up to the individual team if writers' meetings are mandatory for the actor.

Actors should be prepared to attend the same amount of meetings as writers (all).

Actors must have a minimum of 3 pitches at each pitch meeting, with a strong emphasis on their own original characters. There is no guarantee that your pitches will be chosen. If a writer chooses your pitch, they may write it up themselves or invite you to collaborate. That is up to the writer.

Actors must memorize lines in a timely manner. If you’re still memorizing day of show, you’re reciting lines, not delivering a nuanced performance.

Actors will work with writers on character ideas. You will not write alone or with other actors. We only encourage actor collaboration with writers.

If you miss too many meetings/rehearsals, the Artistic Director reserves the right to bench you or remove you from the team. You will be performing at the best comedy theatre in the world and we expect hard work and dedication.

WRITERS/ACTORS:

Responsible for everything a writer or actor would be responsible for.

May cast themselves in their sketches, but must be willing to accept guidance on casting from the director.

Must consistently write material for other actors on the team, not just themselves.

ALL MEMBERS

Responsible for paying monthly dues on time. These dues cover the cost of room rentals and director’s fee. Failure to pay dues on time can result in removal from the team.

Responsible for the promotion of the show.

HOW TO SUBMIT

WRITER SUBMISSIONS:

Requirements: You must meet either 1 (in entirety, both A & B) or 2 to apply.

1. A) Applied and approved for Advanced Study Writing at The UCBT Training Center by October 1st, 2019

AND

B) You must have taken a multi-week UCB class (improv, sketch, or character) in the last 2 years (completed after 10/1/17)

OR

2. If you have ever been a writer on a Maude, Digital or Beta Team or performer on Characters Welcome at UCBT in NY or LA, you are eligible to submit as a Writer.

If you are not willing to comply with the Maude Team writer’s responsibilities, Do Not Submit.

Maude Team members are expected to make Maude a priority, committing 100 percent to all requirements.

Commitments with other UCBT house teams (Harold/Lloyd/Characters/TourCo) or at other theatres are NOT excuses for missing meetings/rehearsals or shows.

If you have too many commitments in life and your conflicts will cause your team to meet late at night to accommodate you, you should reconsider before making a commitment to Maude.

SUBMISSION:

This year’s writer submission will be a BLIND PROCESS. Writer submissions will consist of:

A cover page that lists the following:
Name
Email address
Date your Advanced Study Writing application was approved
One Paragraph: Why do you want to be a Maude writer, and how will Maude Night benefit from your unique comic voice?
A recognizable photo of yourself embedded in the cover letter at the bottom of the page. (do not attach a photo)

Submit the following sketches:
One (1) Character-based sketch (Not a monologue)
One (1) Topical Sketch (Relevant between Sept. 1, 2019 - October 1, 2019)
One (1) A sketch of your choice

All sketches should be for STAGE. Do not submit video scripts.

Each sketch should have a title, but do NOT put your name on the sketches. The only place your name should be is the cover page.

Sketches should not exceed FOUR pages and need to be in standard script formatting. Therefore a packet cannot exceed 13 pages (including cover letter). Do not submit co-written sketches. Solo written only.

Staple the 3 sketches together. Order does not matter.
Paperclip your Cover letter to the 3 sketches.
Bring your packets to the UCB Training Center, 520 8th Avenue, 9th Floor. There will be a box at the Reception Desk labeled “Maude Night Writer Submissions”. We will supply 8.5x11 manilla envelopes for you to place your submissions in. Do not write your name on these.

Submissions will be accepted from Thursday, September 19th, 9am until Thursday, October 3rd, 5pm at The UCB Training Center.

Submissions will not be accepted after October 3rd, 5pm. No exceptions.

BLIND PROCESS:
The blind submission process allows the writing submission reviewers to make an unbiased decision on the work submitted. Omitting your name from the sketches allows this to happen.

Once all submissions have been reviewed by the Artistic Director and a committee of sketch teachers and trusted UCBT community members, the Artistic Director will also consult teacher recommendations. The Artistic Director values teachers’ thoughts on sketch students since they have had personal experience and interaction with them in the classroom.

All final decisions are made by the Artistic Director.

ACTOR SUBMISSIONS:

REQUIREMENTS:

A) You must have completed at least two of UCB’s core classes - Sketch, Improv, or Character (Improv 101, 201, Sketch 101, 201, Character 101, 201).
B) In addition, you must meet ONE of the following supplemental requirements:
-Completion of one multi-week UCB class (not a workshop) in the last 2 years (between September 15th, 2017 and September 15th, 2019).
-You are able to demonstrate your involvement in Sketch Comedy in the PAST YEAR (October 1st, 2018-October 1st, 2019).
-You have ever been a performer on a Maude, Harold, Lloyd, Character or Digital team at UCBT in NY or LA.

If you are not willing to comply with the Maude Team actor’s responsibilities, do not submit.

Maude Team members are expected to make Maude a priority, committing 100 percent to all requirements.

Commitments with other UCBT house teams (Harold/Lloyd/Characters/TourCo) or at other theatres are NOT excuses for missing meetings/rehearsals or shows.

If you miss too many rehearsals, the Artistic Director reserves the right to bench you or remove you from the team. You will be performing at the best comedy theatre in the world and we expect hard work and dedication.

If you have too many commitments in life and your conflicts will cause your team to meet late at night to accommodate you, you should reconsider before making a commitment to Maude.

SUBMISSION:
If you are interested in being considered to be an Actor on a Maude Team you should fill out this Google Form or copy and paste this link - https://forms.gle/YS3MgP7nRSoDxyLFA

IT WILL ASK FOR:

Name
Email Address
Link to Video submission (unlisted or public, no passwords. YouTube preferred)
Your completion of 2 UCB core classes
Your second eligibility qualification
To prove eligibility if necessary
One Paragraph: Why do you want to be a Maude Actor, and how will Maude Night benefit from your unique comic voice?
Link to Headshot
Link to Resume

Video submission should be 2-3 Minutes (no longer) and consist of 3-5 characters performed by you. The video does not have to be professionally edited; bells and whistles are not necessary. The characters performed can be in front of an audience, or just for this submission. The material can be written by you or someone else. Do what you think best shows that you would be a good Maude actor. Do not submit the same submission video as a previous year. Videos longer than 3 minutes will not be watched and will disqualify you from consideration. Yes, this includes videos that are 3 minutes and 1 second.

Actor submissions will be accepted until Tuesday, October 1st, 5 PM EDT.

Late submissions will not be accepted.
Give yourself time to edit and upload videos and deal with technical problems.
Submitting late due to technical problems is not an excuse.
Any submissions received after the deadline won’t be watched.

ACTORS CHOSEN FOR FIRST ROUND AUDITIONS -
Will be notified by Wednesday, October 16th.

ACTOR FIRST ROUND AUDITIONS - October 26th and/or October 27th
Auditions will take place at the UCB Training Center.
October 26th - 1pm-7pm
October 27th - 1pm-7pm
(Date & times are subject to change)

These auditions will consist of a 3 minute live performance that showcases your comedic acting skills to the Artistic Director and audition committee.

ACTOR CALLBACKS - Saturday, November 9th and/or Sunday, November 10th
November 9th - TIME TBA
November 10th - TIME TBA
(Dates are subject to change)

Actors will be assigned 2 scenes that they will prepare and perform with another actor in the callback pool.

HOW TO SUBMIT ACTOR/WRITER
If you want to be considered for an actor/writer position, please make note of this on your writer submission cover page and actor submission.

I expect to announce UCBTNY’s 2020 MAUDE TEAM ROSTERS by Monday, November 25th.

If you have any questions, please post below and we’ll be happy to answer them.

Only answers from the Artistic Director or Artistic Assistant are official answers.
Michael Hartney
Artistic Director, UCBTNY
MichaelHartney

Users Information

Re: UCBTNY Announces Fall 2019 Maude Auditions

Postby maude » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi! I have some questions regarding Maude submissions for writers:

1) I completed an Advanced Sketch class in February 2017. Do I still need to take another class at UCB in order to apply as a writer on Maude? I’m wondering if writers can demonstrate their involvement in sketch in the last year the same way actors can, as I’ve been writing sketch at the PIT for the last three years.

2) If I’m still required to take a class, would the class have to be completed before Oct 1? It seems most classes currently being offered don’t end by Oct 1.

Thank you!
maude

Users Information

Postby MichaelHartney » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:28 pm

maude wrote:Hi! I have some questions regarding Maude submissions for writers:

1) I completed an Advanced Sketch class in February 2017. Do I still need to take another class at UCB in order to apply as a writer on Maude? I’m wondering if writers can demonstrate their involvement in sketch in the last year the same way actors can, as I’ve been writing sketch at the PIT for the last three years.

2) If I’m still required to take a class, would the class have to be completed before Oct 1? It seems most classes currently being offered don’t end by Oct 1.

Thank you!

Hello!

1. Yes, you would need to take another multi-week UCB class to be eligible.
2. Yes, the class would need to be completed before October 1st.

Thanks!
Michael Hartney
MichaelHartney

Users Information

Postby Wala » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Should the titles of the sketches be included on the cover page? Or is there another way to keep track of which packet belongs to who without names on the sketches?

Also, is it possible to have one sketch be 3 pages and another 5 pages if the total amount of pages is still 13?

thanks!
Wala

Users Information

Postby Angel171 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 pm

I have a question regarding sketch submissions for Maude night
Do you have to finish sketch 301 in order to submit a package for consideration?
Angel171

Users Information

Postby Emily5321 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Hello! I have a question regarding Actor eligibility. The most recent UCB class I've taken finished just the other day on Sept 22nd, 2019. The last UCB class I took prior to that one finished on August 24th, 2017. I'm just wondering if I'm still eligible to audition, or if the most recent class HAS to be done before Sept 15th, 2019- the dates are just so close that I wanted to ask. Thank you!
Emily5321

Users Information

Postby MichaelHartney » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:19 pm

Wala wrote:Should the titles of the sketches be included on the cover page? Or is there another way to keep track of which packet belongs to who without names on the sketches?

Also, is it possible to have one sketch be 3 pages and another 5 pages if the total amount of pages is still 13?

thanks!

1) Including the titles on the cover page is fine but not necessary. We keep track of which packet belongs to who.

2) I'd prefer sketches to not go over four pages. If the packet is KILLER, it probably doesn't matter, but if two packets are equally strong but only one is according to specs, that's the packet that would advance.
Michael Hartney
MichaelHartney

Users Information

Postby MichaelHartney » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Angel171 wrote:I have a question regarding sketch submissions for Maude night
Do you have to finish sketch 301 in order to submit a package for consideration?

Yes, you have to have finished 301, applied for Advanced Study, and gotten accepted.
Michael Hartney
MichaelHartney

Users Information

Postby MichaelHartney » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Emily5321 wrote:Hello! I have a question regarding Actor eligibility. The most recent UCB class I've taken finished just the other day on Sept 22nd, 2019. The last UCB class I took prior to that one finished on August 24th, 2017. I'm just wondering if I'm still eligible to audition, or if the most recent class HAS to be done before Sept 15th, 2019- the dates are just so close that I wanted to ask. Thank you!

Go ahead and submit.
Michael Hartney
MichaelHartney

Users Information

Return to New York