NBC and The UCB Theater (NYC) 2nd Annual Diversity Scholarship
NBC will offer a scholarship to students with advanced skills in improvisation at The UCB Theater. NBCU will sponsor one student, for a full year of UCB Classes.
A live “Finalists Showcase” will be scheduled in the fall at The UCB Theater for 10 finalists selected by the Artistic Director of the UCB Theatre. The 2012/2013 Diversity Scholar will be selected by both UCB and NBCU executives based on the performances at the showcase.
The scholarship recipient should be located in or around New York City. The recipient will be responsible for their own transportation costs to and from New York City for classes. If the recipient is eligible, the scholarship can be used for UCB Advanced Classes (specific classes based on availability). WHO CAN APPLY?
All performers, particularly women and people from diverse backgrounds less commonly seen on the comedy stages of NYC, who are currently performers at an improv theater or have completed a core improv program at a recognized longform improv theatre/school.
SUBMISSION WINDOW OPENS: May 11, 2012
SUBMISSION WINDOW CLOSES: August 17, 2012 at 5pm EST
Diversity Scholarship Finalist Showcase Date: September 13, 2012 HOW DO YOU APPLY?
Your email submission should include the following items:
1. Create a 5-minute (or less) video showing us who you are. Please tell us why you are a good candidate for the program, a description of your diverse background, and who your comedic role models are and why. The video should also include a short performance of a sketch, stand-up, character monologue and/or comedic bit that you have written. You may use other performers in your video if needed. Be creative!
In addition to performance footage, please make sure to explicitly answer the following questions:
- Why do you think you are a good candidate for this scholarship?
- Name the performer who most inspires you. Why?
Video format: please include the video as an online link (an unlisted YouTube video, a password protected Vimeo, etc). Do NOT submit a hard copy.
2. A performance resumé (if applicable) or a list of your performance or comedy background. Please specify which core improv program you have completed, and/or the theater where you currently perform.
3. Include your contact information: Name, Mailing Address, Email Address, and Phone Number)
4. Please email all application materials as follows:
TO: nate AT ucbcomedy.com
SUBJECT: "NBC DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP SUBMISSION - YOUR NAME"
Please let us know if you have any questions.
We look forward to your submissions!
UCB Theatre NY
145 30th Street, 4th floor