Jams

All information about 5919 Franklin Ave

Jams

Postby BrynnaCampbell » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:06 am

Hey everyone,

I'm running a new jam on Tuesday nights at Hollywood Billiards at 10pm, starting in a week or two, and I was wondering what everyone thought about the concept of a polite jam. I generally dislike jams, because they tend to favor louder, aggressive people, so my goal is to create a patient, quieter atmosphere in the jam, so people who might be intimidated or annoyed with the way most jams are run can have a super fun time.

If you feel the same way, what do you like about certain jams over others? Do you have any suggestions for the jam? Does this message board make me look cool*?

*I hope it does.
BrynnaCampbell

Users Information

Re: Jams

Postby jjscomedy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:39 am

Even though i would like to see a "polite" jam happen and sustain success, I feel that it is ultimately against the true nature of a "Jam" for the following two reasons. The true nature of a "Jam" is; 1) Anybody of any level is able to play and 2) There is no judgement. As soon as you put another rule besides those two into the equation of a "Jam", it changes into something else. Perhaps a practice session of a certain style or something to that effect, but it is no longer a "Jam" because a "Polite Jam" implies that a performer HAS to play a certain way or they will be judged negatively.
jjscomedy

Users Information

Postby BrynnaCampbell » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:36 pm

First off, in response to you, here's what this scene looked like:

B : How do I make my jam better, Jonny?
J : That's not a jam, it's a spaceship.

All right, I'm going to get the ball rolling. Here's what I like and dislike about certain or all jams:

What I Like:
1) You can play with strangers.
2) Anyone can play, even the person who just got out of a 101.
3) You can workshop new things, like characters or object work.
4) Smaller jams are fun, because everyone gets a turn.
5) Jams with no opening are fun, because then people are better listeners, instead of already having their own ideas.
6) When jams are low-pressure, and everyone's having fun.
7) With the occasional crazy walk-on, you can try to figure out how "Duncan, the Golfing Pony" fits into your game.

What I don't like:
1) When the loud, aggressive person wins. There shouldn't be winners in improv.
2) When new people get trampled.
3) When people don't listen to each other.
4) When people steal the game rather than helping it.

What are other people's thoughts?
BrynnaCampbell

Users Information

Postby josh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:34 pm

I think this is an interesting idea; most jams I've been in/seen have gone all crazyballs way too quickly.

On the other hand it seems like politeness would be hard to enforce -- maybe some other, less transparent (read: sneaky) rule would lead to this outcome. Like a limit on the number of scenes each jammer may be in, or rotating people in and out of the jam, NO walk-ons/tag-outs, etc.
JRB
a real swell guy
josh

Users Information

Postby Drew DiFonzo Marks » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:54 am

there is also another jam thread going on:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5052

lets consolidate.
Last Day of School - 'Txt Msg Show'
Thursdays @ 11pm
Drew DiFonzo Marks

Users Information

Postby Drew DiFonzo Marks » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:35 pm

hey everybody, new UCB jam rules:

The Long Hard Improv Jam is the show where YOU get to perform.

Here's how it works:
At 7pm on the day of the show a sign up sheet will be posted in the lobby. This list is for UCB Students Only (past or present).
The list will go down 10 minutes before showtime. At the show names will be called out randomly from the list to get on stage and perform!
It is lottery style, so signing up does not guarantee you will get on stage.

In addition, audience members will be randomly picked from the crowd, even if they are NOT students of the UCB Training Center, so everyone has a chance to perform.

Come do some long form improv on the UCB stage with students, teachers, veteran performers, newbies, crazies, and all walks of life.

One rule: No judgment.
Last Day of School - 'Txt Msg Show'
Thursdays @ 11pm
Drew DiFonzo Marks

Users Information

Postby jacobreed » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey Gang!

I'm taking over the UCBT LA Jam. Would love to get everyone's feedback on the way it runs, any ideas/thoughts etc. I posted over in the main Jam thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5620) to get some discussion going.

Also - the UCB Jam now has a facebook page: facebook.com/ucbjam - check it out for updates, co-host info, etc.

Thanks!

-jacob
jacobreed

Users Information

Return to Los Angeles