The UCB Theatre Los Angeles is excited to announce Maude Team Performer Auditions!
MAUDE TEAM INFO
A Maude team consists of a group of writers and a separate group of performers who work together to put on a monthly live sketch show at the UCB Theatre. Beginning on Friday, October 1st, we will be holding auditions for performers for Maude Teams. Writers are chosen through a separate process (http://losangeles.ucbtheatre.com/news/750).
The performers are the primary cast for each Maude Night performance and work with the writers in much the same way the cast of Saturday Night Live works with the writers on that show - meaning show content will come from the writers as well as writers working with performers. A Director/Coach oversees the writing and production of the team and the monthly show. All members of the team are responsible for the monthly show.
Some factors to consider before auditioning:
• Maude Teams will meet at least once per week with an approved coach to read new sketches and/or rehearse. Performers may not be needed at every meeting; however, that is at the discretion of the coach. Performers should plan to be at EVERY meeting unless otherwise notified. Additional time may be required the week of the team's Maude Night performance.
• Maude Team members will be expected to pay their coaches for their time in weekly meetings/rehearsals. As performers, you may not be at every meeting, but you may be asked to pay your part of the coach's fee for those meetings.
• Performers are expected to learn all material in a timely and reasonable manner. Your job is to make this material as good as it can be and to give a polished, professional performance. Performers are NOT guaranteed that they will be featured every month.
• Participation on a Maude Team should be your PRIORITY. If you are not able to commit at that level - DO NOT SUBMIT TO BE ON A MAUDE TEAM. To reiterate - we are interested in creating opportunities for performers who really want to perform comedy at a high level of quality and professionalism. If you are one of those people, we hope you'll submit.
• If you miss more than two (2) required meetings/rehearsals in a row, miss meetings/rehearsals on a regular basis, or fail to perform in a professional manner - you will be replaced on your team. Attendance and full participation are important, necessary, and required. Commitments at other theatres, at UCBT (including Harold Teams), or elsewhere, are NOT excuses for missing meetings, rehearsals, and/or shows.
• It is perfectly acceptable to be on both a Maude Team and a Harold Team - but you must be able to meet the commitments of both teams without conflict.
• You may submit to be a Maude writer and also audition to be a Maude performer. Submitting as a writer does not disqualify you from auditioning as a performer, or vice-versa. Nor does it gain you any advantage in either aspect. Please note that writers and performers will be evaluated separately, and that no writer/performer hybrid positions are guaranteed.
HOW TO AUDITION
To be eligible to audition, you must have fulfilled at least one of these three requirements:
• You must be approved for Advanced Study Courses by the UCBT Training Center. If are uncertain as to whether or not you're approved for Advanced Study, please visit this page to see how to apply to the Advanced Study program and learn your status: http://losangeles.ucbtheatre.com/classes/advanced,
• You must have successfully completed at least one UCBT 201-or-higher level Improv course since August 1st, 2009 (based on date of final class meeting).
• You must be a current or former performer on a UCB Harold or Maude team, in either New York or Los Angeles.
If you do not fit into any of the above categories, you cannot audition at this time.
Auditions will be held during the day on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1st, and SATURDAY, OCTOBER 2nd at the UCB Theatre. Callbacks will be held on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 8th, at the UCB Theatre.
Audition sign-ups will begin on Wednesday, September 22nd, at 11:30am. Bring a headshot and resume to the UCB Theatre Box Office (5919 Franklin Ave, 90028) and be prepared to select an audition time. Make sure your headshot includes your name, phone, and email address. Be certain to include both professional acting experience as well as relevant live comedy and UCB Theatre experience on your resume. AUDITION TIMES ARE FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED, AND WE WILL FILL UP.
Auditions will be three (3) minutes. In that time, you should show us your best characters, impressions, accents, skills, etc. It is completely up to you how you choose to impress us, but just be aware that we are MUCH more interested in your range and strengths as a performer than we are in your writing. Don’t take 90 seconds to show us a character that you could get across in under 30 seconds.
Thank you and good luck!