2016 Maude Team Submissions - Los Angeles

All information about 5919 Franklin Ave

2016 Maude Team Submissions - Los Angeles

Postby MikeStill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:49 pm

I’m excited to open submissions for the 2016 UCB Theatre-LA Maude Teams!

Read all information carefully, as procedures have changed from previous auditions.

This is a big info dump! But the basic submission is this: if you are submitting to be a writer we want three sketches and five pitches. If you are submitting to be an actor we want a 2 minute video of your best characters.

Owing to the number of submissions we receive, we cannot offer individual feedback on submissions.

If you have questions please post them in the “2016 UCB LA Maude Team Submissions” thread on the UCBComedy Forums (boards.ucbcomedy.com) so we can answer all questions in one place. Do not ask UCB staff members questions regarding auditions/submissions, all the info you need will be on the boards!

Submissions for Actors will be accepted until 11:59pm on Monday, January 11th, 2016.

Submissions for Writers will be accepted until 11:59pm on Monday, January 18th, 2016.

We cannot accept any submissions after the deadline, so spread the word to friends that submissions are now open.

Remember that we want you to do well. We love sketch comedy and are always excited to find new voices! Show us your sense of humor.

Good luck!

Mike Still
Artistic Director
Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, Los Angeles.

What is a Maude Team?

Maude Teams are UCB’s house sketch comedy teams. They are formed and overseen by the Artistic Director. Maude Teams generally consist of six writers and six actors. A Maude Team Director, assigned by the Artistic Director, oversees the writing and production of a monthly sketch show.

The goal of Maude Night is to replicate the competitive and professional atmosphere of a television writers room, while at the same time fostering a supportive, team-based environment that encourages members to create comedy at their highest potential.

THE SHOW

Each Maude Team creates a monthly sketch comedy show.

Maude Night is every Wednesday, 8:30pm at the UCB Theatre Sunset.

Maude Night shows are 25-30 minutes.

Shows consist of new material written by the team specifically for Maude Night, or Rewritten Material that previously made its debut on Maude Night but has been revised since its original performance.

Maude Night will consist of the best material created each month--writers are not guaranteed to have material performed in every show.

The Artistic Director will assign a Director who functions as the head writer in writer meetings and final creative voice in rehearsals. Directors are responsible for creating the monthly line up of the best sketches, even if that means every writer does not has a sketch in the show. Directors are paid by the Maude Teams (part of monthly dues). To ensure that teams are exposed to different perspectives on sketch comedy, new teams will have at least two directors in their first year.

SCHEDULE

Maude rehearsal should not be “fit in” around your other obligations--it should be a centerpiece of your schedule and a high priority for team members.

Maude Teams generally meet twice a week for writers meetings or actor rehearsals.

The following meetings are recommended for every Maude Team:
Pitch Meeting/2 Writers Meeting, 1 Read Through/Actor Rehearsal, 2 Actor Rehearsals, 1 Tech Rehearsal, The Show.

Additional time may be required, this is up to the individual team.

Maude Tech tech rehearsals are always on the Wednesday of your show, between 12pm – 3pm, depending on when you are up on show night (first performing that night will have tech 12-1:30p, second will have 1:30-3p)

Late night rehearsals are strongly discouraged.

TEAM MEMBERS EXPECTATIONS

Maude Team members are expected to make Maude a priority, committing one-hundred percent to all requirements.

Maude Team members are expected to follow the UCB-LA House Team Code of Conduct.

UCB Two Team Rule: In an effort to help foster balanced time commitments, individuals can be members of no more than two House Teams that meet weekly. This applies to Harold, Maude and Digital Teams. It currently does NOT apply to Mess Hall or Tourco, but may in the future.

Commitments with other UCBT house teams (Harold/Digital/Tourco) or at other theatres are NOT excuses for missing meetings/rehearsals or shows.

Team Members are responsible for paying monthly dues on time. These dues generally cover the Director's fee. All team members, writers and actors, pay the same monthly dues. Failure to pay dues on time can result in removal from the team.

Team Members are responsible for promotion of the show. Think beyond Facebook posts.

While Maude Night should be your major sketch comedy priority, we expect you to develop your voice and skills by remaining active in the UCB community at large, whether through “bit shows,” “workshop” shows like Not Too Shabby, creating Spanks, etc.

If you miss more than two meetings/rehearsals during a show cycle, the Artistic Director reserves the right to remove you from the team. You will be performing at the best comedy theatre in the world and we expect hard work and dedication.

WRITERS EXPECTATIONS

Writers must attend all Maude Team meetings and rehearsals.

Writers must produce 1 new sketch every week.

Writers must rewrite sketches based on feedback from writers meetings.

Writers must provide constructive feedback on other teammate’s material and be an active participant in the writer's room.

Writer will cast their sketch in collaboration with their Director.

Writers are the “producer” of their sketch, and responsible for coordinating all necessary props, costumes and set pieces that their sketch requires.

Material created by the writer belongs to them, even if they have accepted input from other writers, actors or the director.

Dual or Multi authorship should only be addressed when more than one person actively created the idea or wrote/re-wrote the sketch. (e.g. if an actor creates a character and a sketch is written around that character).

ACTORS EXPECTATIONS

The following rehearsals/Meetings are mandatory for the Actor to attend.
Pitch Meeting, Read Through/Actor Rehearsal, 2 Actor Rehearsals & Tech Rehearsal.

It is up to the individual team if Writers Meetings are mandatory for the actor.

Actors should be prepared to attend the same amount of meetings as writers (all).

Actors must have a minimum of 1 character to pitch for themselves at each pitch meeting. There is no guarantee that your character will be chosen.

Actors must memorize lines as soon as a final draft is ready. An Actor’s job is to give a polished professional performance, which is impossible to do if you are memorizing lines the day of the show.

Actors are not guaranteed that they will be featured every month, but remember that a skilled comedic actor can kill with small roles. On months where you are “light,” you are expected to support your team in any way that you can.

Actors will work with writers on character ideas. Actors will not write alone or with other actors.

HOW TO SUBMIT

NOTE: You may submit to be a Maude writer and also audition to be a Maude actor. Submitting as a writer does not disqualify you from auditioning as an actor, or vice-versa. Nor does it gain you any advantage in either aspect. Please note that writers and actors will be evaluated separately, and that no writer/performer hybrid positions are guaranteed.

If there are enough qualified candidates who submit as writers and actors, we may create a team of Writer-Actors. This is by no means guaranteed, only if there are enough folks who GOT THE GOODS.

CURRENT MAUDE WRITERS AND ACTORS: If you are currently a writer, you are welcome to audition to be an actor. The same goes for actors who wish to submit as a writer.

WRITER REQUIREMENTS:

1) Approved for Advanced Sketch Writing before January 18, 2016 (please contact LAClasses@ucbcomedy.com if you are not sure if you’ve been approved)

-AND-

2) Have taken a multi-week class at UCB in the last year (includes sketch, improv, storytelling or character) that had its first class before January 18th, 2016 OR wrote a Spank show at UCB that "got a run" between Jan 2015-Jan 2016 OR have been on a sketch team that has won Sketch Showdown between Jan 2015-Jan 2016.

Current/Former members of Harold, Maude or Digital Teams at UCB LA or NY are eligible to submit as a writer if they have completed a multi-week UCB class (includes sketch, improv, storytelling or character) between January 18th, 2014 and January 18th, 2016 -OR- have written a Spank at UCB that "got a run" Jan 2014 - Jan 2016 -OR- have been on a sketch team that has won Sketch Showdown Jan 2014 - Jan 2016.

If you are unable or unwilling to adhere to the Maude Writer expectations as outlined in the above section, do not submit.

Packet Content
Submit the following Sketches:
Two (2) Sketches of your choice
One (1) Topical sketch (relevant between Dec. 11, 2015 - Jan. 18, 2016).
Five (5) pitches for new sketches that have not been written or produced. Pitches should be less than 50 words each and all be contained on one page.

ALL SKETCHES MUST BE NO LONGER THAN FOUR PAGES IN STANDARD SCRIPT FORMATTING.

Please note that we cannot consider material you have co-written -- include only sketches you've written solo.

WRITER SUBMISSION PROCESS: TWO STEPS

STEP ONE:
Email your packet to lamaude@ucbcomedy.com by 11:59pm on Monday, January 18th, 2016 formatted as follows:

Subject line:
WRITER 2016- Last Name, First Name (EX: WRITER 2016 - ASSANTE, ARMAND)

Body of Email:
-Sketch of Choice 1: Title
-Sketch of Choice 2: Title
-Topical Sketch: Title

Attach to email:

PDF version of writer packet with file named in this way:

LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME2016.PDF EX: ASSANTE_ARMAND2016.PDF.

A single PDF should contain all sketches and pitches. DO NOT SEND FINAL DRAFT OR OTHER TYPES OF FILES.

STEP TWO:

Have Answers to the following questions ready and fill out the Google Form below.

-Name
-Email
-Phone Number
-Answers to eligibility criteria.
-Your UCB Training Center class experience across all subjects. Class/Teacher/Date.
-A link to Professional Resume
-A link to a recent photo of yourself
-In less than 100 words explain your performance/writing experience with creating sketch comedy.
-Optional: Two links to videos/projects/essays you wrote on.
-In 50 words or less, why do you want to be on a UCB Maude team?
-In 50 words or less, what is your career goal outside of UCB?
-What is the funniest sketch you've seen in the last year?
-Optional: References

Fill out this form by 11:59pm on Monday, January 18th, 2016: http://goo.gl/forms/6DgqR10Zfj

ACTOR REQUIREMENTS:

We are interested in actors who are actively involved in creating comedy.

To be considered for an actor on a Maude Team:

1) Must have completed at least two UCB classes (includes sketch, improv, storytelling or character) before January 18th, 2016.

-AND-

2) Have taken multi-week class at UCB in the last year (includes sketch, improv, storytelling or character) that had its first class before January 11th, 2016 -OR- performed in a Spank show at UCB that "got a run" from Jan 2015-Jan 2016 -OR- have been on a sketch team that has won Sketch Showdown between Jan 2015-Jan 2016.

Current/Former members of Harold, Maude or Digital Teams at UCB LA or NY are eligible to submit as an actor if they have completed a multi-week UCB class (includes sketch, improv, storytelling or character) between January 18th, 2014 and January 18th, 2016 -OR- have been involved in a Spank show at UCB that "got a run" Jan 2014 - Jan 2016 -OR- have been on a sketch team that has won Sketch Showdown Jan 2014 - Jan 2016.

If you are not willing to comply with the Maude Team Actor’s responsibilities, do not submit.

ACTOR SUBMISSION PROCESS:

The 2016 Maude actor auditions will consist of three rounds:
Round One-- Video audition of your material.
Round Two-- Solo live audition of your material.
Round Three-- Callback where you will perform a sketch we assign.

ROUND ONE: Video Submissions

Content Details:

Please show us your best characters and impressions, along with any other CHOPS you'd like to show off (ie-- singing, physical comedy, popping and locking, etc).

Show us your RANGE.

Show us what YOU think is funny and what makes you UNIQUE! We want to see characters that could be showcased on Maude Night... don't just read a phone book in a variety of accents (unless it’s super funny).

Technical Details:

Your video should consist of a single shot, two minutes in length.

Videos with cuts or edits will not be considered. Likewise, videos longer than two minutes will automatically be discounted.

You are welcome to use a lower titler to name your characters or you can announce your characters within your tape, or do neither!

Have this info ready before you fill out the Google Form below:

-Name
-Email
-Phone Number
-Answers to eligibility questions.
-Link to Video Audition
-Link to two other sketches/reel (optional)
-Link to Headshot
-Link to Acting Resume
-Class experience at UCB.
-100 words or less description of your sketch comedy performance experience
-In less than 50 words, what is your career goal outside of UCB?
-In less than 50 words, why do you want to be on a UCB Maude team?
-What is the funniest sketch you've seen in the last year?
-Your availability for live auditions on the weekend of February 5th.

Fill out this form by 11:59pm on Monday, January 11th, 2016: http://goo.gl/forms/qmW2dHVkAI

Late submissions will not be accepted.

Give yourself time to edit and upload videos and deal with technical problems, as submitting late due to technical problems is not an excuse.

ROUND TWO: LIVE AUDITIONS

Actors chosen for live auditions will be notified at least a week before their live audition.

ACTOR LIVE AUDITIONS - February 5th, 6th and 7th
Auditions will take place at the Inner Sanctum @UCBSunset (5419 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, California 90027)

Friday, February 5th, 6pm - 10pm
Saturday, February 6th, 2pm - 6pm
Sunday, February 7th, 12pm - 4pm

These auditions will consist of a 3 minute live performance that showcases your comedic acting skills to the Artistic Director and audition committee.

While in the video auditions we want to see RANGE, in the Live Auditions we will want to see DEPTH. We ask for no more than two or three characters in your allotted time.

ROUND THREE: CALLBACKS

Friday, February 12th, 6pm - 10pm
Saturday, February 13th, 2pm - 6pm
Auditions will take place at the Inner Sanctum @UCBSunset (5419 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, California 90027)

Actors will be assigned 2 scenes that they will prepare and perform with another actor in the callback pool. You are not expected to have your callback scene memorized, but you should show us that you can make funny comedic choices that showcase the game of the scene. Costumes are welcome.

THANK YOU FOR READING! IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING IN THIS SUBMISSION INFO DUMP, PLEASE GO AHEAD AND ASK IN THIS FORUM.

Only answers from the Artistic Director or Artistic Associate should be considered “official” answers!

NOW GO FORTH AND MAKE FUNNY THINGS!
MikeStill

Users Information

Re: 2016 Maude Team Submissions - Los Angeles

Postby MikeStill » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:52 pm

I'll be out of the office for the Holidays, and unable to answer questions in this forum from Dec 18-Dec 30.

So post questions before Friday if you want them right away-- otherwise be patient and I'll see you on the other side!
MikeStill

Users Information

Postby JSmooha » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Hey Mike! I am out of the country till January 15th and can't get access to my computer to upload my audition (currently using my phone). Would it be ok if I submitted my material immediately when I get back in the country on the 15th? Thanks and have a happy new year!
JSmooha

Users Information

Postby MikeStill » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:53 pm

JSmooha wrote:Hey Mike! I am out of the country till January 15th and can't get access to my computer to upload my audition (currently using my phone). Would it be ok if I submitted my material immediately when I get back in the country on the 15th? Thanks and have a happy new year!

Sorry, the deadline for acting is Jan 11, we can't take submissions after that because chaos!
MikeStill

Users Information

Postby gravyday » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Hey Mike!

I was just filling out the Maude Writer submission form and under the link "Please provide a link to your professional resume below: " there is only a text box, not an upload form for a PDF as I would expect. Same issue for the "Please provide a link to a recent photo of yourself:", just a text box, not an image upload form. Is this a problem with the form or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

dave ciaccio
gravyday

Users Information

Postby MikeStill » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:35 pm

gravyday wrote:Hey Mike!

I was just filling out the Maude Writer submission form and under the link "Please provide a link to your professional resume below: " there is only a text box, not an upload form for a PDF as I would expect. Same issue for the "Please provide a link to a recent photo of yourself:", just a text box, not an image upload form. Is this a problem with the form or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

dave ciaccio

Hey Dave, we are just looking for link, copy and paste the URL into that text box.
MikeStill

Users Information

Postby joshschwartzTV » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:00 pm

MikeStill wrote:
JSmooha wrote:Hey Mike! I am out of the country till January 15th and can't get access to my computer to upload my audition (currently using my phone). Would it be ok if I submitted my material immediately when I get back in the country on the 15th? Thanks and have a happy new year!

Sorry, the deadline for ***acting*** is Jan 11, we can't take submissions after that because chaos!

Hey Mike. Was the deadline changed? In the original post the writing deadline was set at January 18th.
joshschwartzTV

Users Information

Postby MikeStill » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:07 pm

joshschwartzTV wrote:
MikeStill wrote:

Sorry, the deadline for ***acting*** is Jan 11, we can't take submissions after that because chaos!

Hey Mike. Was the deadline changed? In the original post the writing deadline was set at January 18th.

My bad, yes, the writing deadline remains Jan 18th-- the acting deadline is Jan 11th, I corrected in posts, thanks!
MikeStill

Users Information

Postby Arocco » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi Mike,
I see on the submission form that you would like an acting reel. Could we post a voice reel instead or post an acting reel there and a voice reel in the next "video sketch that you are proud of" column? Thanks!
-Andy
Arocco

Users Information

Postby Cigaraiv » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Hi Mike,
After using the google form for the actors submission, would we receive a confirmation email? Just want to make sure it was submitted correctly. Thanks!
Cigaraiv

Users Information

Next

Return to Los Angeles