Announcing: 2016 Harold & Mess Hall Auditions!

All information about 5919 Franklin Ave

Announcing: 2016 Harold & Mess Hall Auditions!

Postby bethappelUCB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:37 pm

UPDATE: Submissions are closed! Please email laharold@ucbcomedy.com with any and all questions. Do not email the Artistic Director or Artistic Associate directly.

Announcing Fall 2016 auditions for UCB-LA’s Harold and Mess Hall Teams!

Please read this in its entirety. All pertinent information should be answered below, so read thoroughly before asking questions.

***First round auditions will be held Friday 9/9, Saturday 9/10, and Sunday 9/11, and callbacks will be held on Tuesday 9/13 and Wednesday 9/14. These are the only audition dates.***

***Only questions answered by the Artistic Director or Artistic Associate on boards.ucbcomedy.com will be considered official answers.***

***Please do not ask questions about eligibility or auditions on Facebook groups, via email, or to any UCB Theatre or Training Center employees.***

IN SIGNING UP FOR A HAROLD / MESS HALL TEAM AUDITION YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING UCB TEAM EXPECTATIONS:

Harold and Mess Hall Teams perform the improv form known as the Harold. Team members must show an understanding of the Harold and a dedication to using the Harold structure as a tool in creating improvised comedy.

Harold and Mess Hall Teams are formed at the discretion of the UCB-LA Artistic Director in consultation with the Harold Committee, a collection of experienced coaches, teachers and performers who love improv.

Harold and Mess Hall Teams must rehearse at least once a week.

Harold and Mess Hall Teams must be a priority for team members. This is demonstrated by attending rehearsals and performances. Team members with a pattern of poor attendance or lateness will be removed.

Harold and Mess Hall Teams will be assigned a coach by the UCB-LA Artistic Director. Coaches will be periodically rotated to expose team members to a variety of viewpoints. Team input will be considered in coach assignment. Harold and Mess Hall Team members must compensate the coach a reasonable coaching fee. This fee is set by a discussion between the coach and the team.

Every Harold and Mess Hall Team member is expected to boldly bring his or her unique voice and sense of humor to shows.

Mess Hall Teams perform the Harold in the Inner Sanctum on Sunday Nights. The purpose of Mess Hall Teams is to provide promising improvisors a chance to practice the Harold in front of an audience. This round of Mess Hall Teams will exist for six months.

As a team member, you are expected to perform at a high level and demonstrate commitment to improving, but you are NOT expected to be perfect. Team members must show they are open to notes from their coach and the Artistic Director and willing to work at implementing those notes.

Harold and Mess Hall Team members are expected to continuously develop their comedic voice through opportunities at UCB, including, but not limited to, sketch shows, bit shows, specialty improv shows, Spanks and stand-up. Team members are encouraged to find new ways to express their unique comedic voice.

If you agree with these expectations, read on!

WHEN ARE AUDITIONS?

***You must have availability during the following audition times to be considered. NO EXCEPTIONS.***

FIRST ROUND AUDITIONS
Friday September 9th, 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday September 10th, 10:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday September 11th, 10:30am - 5:30pm

CALLBACKS
Tuesday September 13th 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Wednesday September 14, 6:00 pm - 11:00pm

We anticipate that teams will be announced by Thursday, September 15th.

WHERE ARE AUDITIONS?

Auditions will be held in the Inner Sanctum, 5419 Sunset Blvd.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE?

Harold and Mess Hall Teams will be cast from the same audition. Eligibility is the same for both Harold and Mess Hall Teams. All auditioners will be auditioning for Harold Teams, but you can opt out of Mess Hall consideration and it will not affect your eligibility for a Harold Team.

Current and former Mess Hall Team members ARE eligible to be placed on a Harold Team or a NEW Mess Hall Team. Mess Hall Teams will exist for 6 Months.

Everyone meeting ONE of the following three requirements will receive an audition:

1) You have been accepted in the Advanced Study Program and have taken a multi-week improv course at the UCB Training Center in LA/NY that had/has its final class between October 1, 2015 and October 1, 2016.

-OR-

2) Are a current or former Harold / Maude / Digital Team member that has taken a multi-week improv class since October 1, 2014 that had its final class before October 1, 2016.

-OR-

3) Were on a Mess Hall Team since October 2015.

***If you are in a class that has its final session close to the sign-up deadline of August 29, we will make sure Advanced Study approval is expedited and if you are eligible to audition, you can.***

***If you are enrolled in a class that has its final session after the sign-up deadline of August 29 but before October 1, your instructor will let us know if you are eligible to audition. We will reach out with an audition slot by September 6th. This special audition eligibility does not necessarily mean you are approved for advanced study.***

AUDITION SPECIFICS

-PLEASE ARRIVE THIRTY MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR SCHEDULED AUDITION TIME.

-You must bring a headshot and resume STAPLED, NOT CLIPPED, together. If you do not have a headshot, bring a recent photo that clearly shows your face.

-There will be a room to warm-up with your audition group, current team members will run the warm-up.

-On the day of the audition, improvisers will be seen every 20 minutes in groups of 8.

First round auditions will last about 20 minutes and follow this format:
-A suggestion.
-A short, true personal monologue off suggestion (Monologist will be asked to stop at 60 seconds).
-Four FIRST BEATS.
-Four SECOND BEATS. Second beats should be initiated by the improvisors who initiated the first beat.
-No groups games, but second beats should have an emphasis on “on-game” group support.
-We will edit all scenes.

Callbacks will consist of a Harold.

HOW TO SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION

Before clicking the Google Form link below, have answers to these questions ready to go:

1) Your name, email and phone number.
2) Your availability. PLEASE BE GENEROUS WITH YOUR AVAILABILITY.
3) The instructor and start/end dates of your most recent UCB Training Center class.
4) Optional: List of Indie Teams you have been on that have rehearsed more than TEN times. Coach and email contact info for coach of that team.
5) A link to a headshot/photo.

Once you have all of that ready, click the below link and only fill out this form one time. You will be contacted by September 6th with an audition time only if you meet the audition requirements.

***Please note: Do not fill this form out if you haven't been approved for Advanced Study***

***Please also note: Do not fill this form out till you know your audition availability. There is not an easy way for us to adjust the availability of 500 people***

Sign-ups will be open until 11:59pm, Monday, August 29.

2016 UCB-LA Harold / Mess Hall Team Audition Sign-up Link (by clicking on the link below, you confirm that you understand and agree with all of the above requirements, expectations, etc.):

https://docs.google.com/a/ucbcomedy.com ... 4/viewform

--
Beth Appel
Artistic Director
UCB Theater LA
Last edited by bethappelUCB on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
bethappelUCB

Users Information

Re: Announcing: 2016 Harold & Mess Hall Auditions!

Postby Tav » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:07 pm

I have been accepted into the Advanced Study Program but I now need to take 201 again because it has been over two years since my last 401. (I've been practicing and performing consistently in the meantime.) My 201 class ends before 10/1. Will I be able to audition?
Tav

Users Information

Postby bethappelUCB » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Tav wrote:I have been accepted into the Advanced Study Program but I now need to take 201 again because it has been over two years since my last 401. (I've been practicing and performing consistently in the meantime.) My 201 class ends before 10/1. Will I be able to audition?

ANSWER: Seems like you fulfill eligibility requirement #1: You have been accepted in the Advanced Study Program and have taken a multi-week improv course at the UCB Training Center in LA/NY that had/has it's final class between October 1, 2015 and October 1, 2016.
bethappelUCB

Users Information

Postby rachelretha » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Beth!

It used to be that if you were somehow unable to take a class in the year between auditions you could submit some other sort of proof that you've been active in the community, being coached, taking classes elsewhere, etc to qualify to audition. Is this not the case anymore? Is there anything that can be done for someone like me who has had financial hardships keeping me from taking a class this year?
rachelretha

Users Information

Postby bethappelUCB » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:01 pm

rachelretha wrote:Hi Beth!

It used to be that if you were somehow unable to take a class in the year between auditions you could submit some other sort of proof that you've been active in the community, being coached, taking classes elsewhere, etc to qualify to audition. Is this not the case anymore? Is there anything that can be done for someone like me who has had financial hardships keeping me from taking a class this year?

ANSWER: I'll be making decisions regarding exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Feel free to email me with your request for an exception.
EDIT: Please do not email me at my personal email address about UCB business.
Last edited by bethappelUCB on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bethappelUCB

Users Information

Postby DavidLeoSchultz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Beth- my question is - I HAVENT been approved for Advance , and my only option is to to take fasen 410- can I still apply to audition?
DavidLeoSchultz

Users Information

Postby bethappelUCB » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:27 pm

DavidLeoSchultz wrote:Beth- my question is - I HAVENT been approved for Advance , and my only option is to to take fasen 410- can I still apply to audition?

ANSWER: If you have not been approved for Advanced Study, you are not eligible to audition. Technically, you would be able to apply/re-apply for advanced study after a 410 class in which case, one of the following contingencies would apply:

***If you are in a class that has it’s final session close to the sign-up deadline of August 29, we will make sure Advanced Study approval is expedited and if you are eligible to audition, you can.***

***If you are enrolled in a class that has it’s final session after the sign-up deadline of August 29 but before October 1, your instructor will let us know if you are eligible to audition. We will reach out with an audition slot by September 6th. This special audition eligibility does not necessarily mean you are approved for advanced study.***

So, if the 410 ends before 8/29 and you are approved for Advanced Study, you can audition. And if the 410 ends between 8/29 and 10/1, the instructor will get in touch with me directly if he or she thinks you should be eligible to audition. At that point, the Artistic Associate or I will reach out to you with an audition slot.
bethappelUCB

Users Information

Postby DavidLeoSchultz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Thank you Beth. Will I need to apply then or just talk to my 410 teacher?
DavidLeoSchultz

Users Information

Postby pumpkin8 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi, I have two questions concerning eligibility, I am in Advanced Study but:

1. Does Character 101 counts towards fulfilling the multi-week improv class requirement? There is some improv in the class.

2. I signed up for an improv 401 multi-week class that ends on Sept 28, 2016, but the final class show is on Oct 2, 2016. Would that count? The deadline is Oct 1, but Oct 2 seems so achingly close.

Thank you for your help.
pumpkin8

Users Information

Postby bethappelUCB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:26 pm

DavidLeoSchultz wrote:Thank you Beth. Will I need to apply then or just talk to my 410 teacher?

ANSWER: David, I believe Todd Fasen's 410 class ends September 12th. At that point, you will be eligible to apply for Advanced Study via traditional means. If you are accepted into Advanced Study, you will be eligible to audition. If not, you won't. Your questions at this point seem to be more related to how the school works than how Harold and Mess Hall auditions work. I'd advise you to re-read the original post about audition eligibility and contact the school with further questions regarding the Advanced Study program.
Last edited by bethappelUCB on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bethappelUCB

Users Information

Next

Return to Los Angeles